Friday, May 20, 2011

Seriously Amazing Chocolate Cake




I prefer cake made from scratch over cake from a box. Simple, real ingredients plus the I did it myself factor is very satisfying. This moist chocolate cake is a real pleaser.
Originally the recipe calls for a 9 x 13" pan but I've also made it a a layer cake using two round cake tins.  A few years ago, my mother found the recipe online @ www.donogh.com which is now www. recipesoldandnew.com and they don't have this cake listed on the site. Their loss, our gain!

Makes 1 Cake. 

Ingredients:
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup butter
2 1/4 cups light brown sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 cup boiling water

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
2 Melt chocolate, either on the stove or in the microwave and set aside.
3 Beat butter in large mixer bowl then add brown sugar and eggs, and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
4 Add vanilla and melted chocolate, and beat to combine.
5 Combine flour, baking soda, and salt and add to chocolate mixture gradually, alternating with sour cream, beating after each addition.
6 Stir boiling water into the batter - the batter will be thin.
7 Pour into two 9 inch round cake pans which have been greased and floured.
8 Bake for 35 minutes, until cake centre springs back when touched.
9 Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans. Allow to cool completely before applying frosting.

If I layer the cake, say if it's two rounds, or I double the batter and make two 9 x 13 cakes, I'll use blackberry preserves between the layers.  I also use Magnolia Bakery's Chocolate Buttercream (recipe is it's own blog post) to frost the cake.  Then I find the best looking berries in the market and decorate the top of the cake.  

My parents have blackberry bushes and every year my mother makes blackberry purée and gives me some. I've served the cake with the blackberry purée on the side.  It's phenomenal.  I'm not a big cake fan, believe it or not, but this cake with the purée, I can't pass up.  

Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! This looks fab. I love the idea of the fruit on top, makes a chocolate cake seem so much more figure-friendly!

    ReplyDelete